At Indigo Dentistry, we are proponents of prevention rather than treating dental disease after it develops. We strive to maintain healthy smiles through quality preventive services, including periodic dental exams. The question is, how often should you schedule your visits?
How Often Should You Schedule Your Dental Exams?
The American Dental Association (ADA) recommends scheduling dental visits at intervals determined by your dentist. Most of our patients require exams and cleanings twice a year, while those with gum disease or an elevated risk of tooth decay typically require more frequent care. A visit to our Cedar Hill, TX office will allow us to evaluate every aspect of your oral health and determine the frequency of dental visits needed to keep your smile in tip-top shape.
Why Are Routine Dental Visits Necessary?
Routine dental exams allow your trusted team at Indigo Dentistry to monitor your oral health and identify problems in their early stages while easiest to treat. Moreover, evaluating every aspect of your oral health will allow us to be proactive and recommend preventive procedures, when necessary, to keep dental disease at bay.
What Happens During Your Routine Dental Exam?
We will ask you about your medical and dental history, as well as current or previous complaints. Your exam will include the following:
- Digital X-Rays: Digital dental x-rays help us detect conditions we cannot see during a clinical examination, including tooth decay between teeth, bone loss, cysts, and much more.
- Periodontal Exam: Your appointment will include a periodontal exam to evaluate your gums’ health and rule out periodontal (gum) disease, the leading cause of tooth loss in adults.
- Tooth By Tooth Exam: We will conduct a tooth by tooth examination to evaluate the health of each one of your teeth and the condition of your tooth enamel. We’ll also check on existing restorations to ensure that they are free from damage.
- Bite Analysis: We will conduct a bite analysis to ensure your occlusion (bite) is healthy. Otherwise, you risk excessive tooth wear, loose teeth, and a painful condition known as temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorder.
- Oral Cancer Screening: A potentially life-saving oral cancer screening will rule out any abnormalities. If we find a suspicious area, we may recommend further testing. The good news is that oral cancer has an excellent chance for a full cure when caught early on.
- Dental Cleaning: During your visit, our dental hygienist will conduct a professional cleaning to remove plaque and tartar buildup, which helps prevent tooth decay and gum disease. Your cleaning will conclude with professional flossing and polishing, leaving you with a minty clean and fresh smile.
What Happens After Your Dental Exam?
Dr. Collier will create a customized treatment plan to outline any immediate needs and preventive measures necessary to maintain your oral health. The main goal of routine dental exams is to identify any existing or potential problems and address them before they progress. If needed, Dr. Collier may also recommend cosmetic dentistry procedures you may want to consider, such as teeth whitening to enhance your smile’s aesthetics.
Quality Preventive Care Near Me
Contact Indigo Dentistry in Cedar Hill, TX, to learn more about our preventive services for long-term healthy smiles. We invite you to schedule your dental exam and cleaning to help keep dental disease at bay. Call us today!