Dental emergencies tend to happen when least expected and can cause extreme pain and anxiety. That’s why we at Indigo Dentistry offer dedicated emergency dental care to patients in Cedar Hill, TX, and the surrounding areas. The question is, what constitutes a dental emergency, and what should you do in the event you encounter one?
What Constitutes a Dental Emergency?
Simply put, a dental emergency is an oral health-related problem that requires immediate treatment. Getting the urgent care needed can save a tooth, relieve pain, and prevent an infection from progressing.
Here are some common dental emergencies:
- Unrelenting tooth pain
- An abscess
- A knocked-out (avulsed) tooth
- A dislodged (luxated) tooth
- A loose, broken, fractured, or chipped tooth
- Soft tissue (tongue, cheeks, lips) injuries
- Excessive bleeding
- Swelling of the cheeks or face
- A lost crown or filling
What Should You Do if You or a Loved One Experience a Dental Emergency?
Stay calm and call (972) 779-0300 to reach your trusted team at Indigo Dentistry right away. We will schedule your emergency dental appointment and provide you with tips on managing your situation in the meantime. If you can’t reach us, please head to your nearest emergency room, or if you have a life-threatening emergency, please call 911 immediately.
What Should You Do Ahead of Your Emergency Dental Appointment?
If you have pain, over the counter pain medication can help as you wait for your appointment. Never exceed the recommended dosage and avoid placing any pain killers directly onto a painful tooth. If you have any bleeding, apply light but firm pressure. Rinsing your mouth and placing ice packs or cold compresses on the area will ease any swelling or discomfort.
If a tooth comes out of its socket, carefully pick it up without touching its root and rinse it gently with water. Try to return the tooth into its socket, but if that’s not possible, place it in a container with some milk and bring it with you to your emergency appointment. If you lose a crown or filling, use over-the-counter dental cement to hold or replace your restoration. Never use super glue.
The most important thing you can do when experiencing a dental emergency is to stay calm and try not to panic. Our team will see you as soon as possible and spare no effort to save a tooth and relieve you of any discomfort.
How Can You Prevent Dental Emergencies?
Dental emergencies can happen to the best of us, but taking some simple precautions can help keep your smile safe and sound.
- Brush and floss regularly to keep dental disease at bay.
- Consume a balanced, nutritious diet to keep your teeth and gums healthy.
- Drink plenty of water to keep your mouth hydrated and to avoid a dry mouth.
- Refrain from biting down on hard or foods or objects to prevent damage to your teeth.
- Wear a custom mouthguard for protection during sports activities or during your sleep if you continuously grind and clench your teeth, a condition known as bruxism.
- Make sure you visit Indigo Dentistry for your routine dental exams and cleanings to allow us to monitor your oral health and treat any problem before it progresses.
Emergency Dental Care Near Me
We, at Indigo Dentistry in Cedar Hill, TX, hope you never experience a dental emergency but are here to provide you with quality services in the event you do. You can always count on us for care and service that exceed your expectations!